Thursday, July 4, 2013

A simple mothers day gift

So this year (as some of you may know) was my first ever mothers day. Yes I was a little emotional because you only get one first ever mothers day. Anyways I really expected that my husband would make some craft with my newborn baby to honor me because I did just give birth to our son less than a month ago (April 16th :) ) with NO drugs....but we did just move into our house so things were unorganized and my only real wish for mothers day was to stay at home with my two favorite boys. Needless to say I didnt get some special craft so I decided to make my own since I am the crafty one.

With the moving expenses and well the hospital bills this year is a year of handmade gifts. So for mothers day gifts I went...where else...pinterest. I saw many ideas and I decided to go with the whole handprint flowers. I got all my supplies and then realized I was trying to get a newborns hand print multiple times (4 grandmothers + 3 mothers x 3 flowers each= a lot of handprints). So I changed my mind and instead I traced his hand once and then used it as a stencil to make the other flowers. Check it out.

This is still hanging on my fridge and its July :) 

All in all I really had no plans to make myself one of these because after I made 30-something cutouts of his handprint I was really tired....plus did I mention I was taking care of a newborn while trying to do this. Finally I caved and just made one for myself I mean I have to remember my first mothers day so this will help- honestly I dont even remember anything else that day because I was in new-mommy-forgetful-mode. Plus like I said before I knew I wasnt going to get a special hand-made gift this year unless I did it......I bet I could send my husband into my craft area and he wouldnt know what to do-hes better with tools :)


So this craft is much more simpler than messing with paint. The vase was just cut out of some scrapbook paper I had. I just drew the stems with pen and made sure to write the year somewhere on it (I think the back). It cost me nothing to make since I already had all the paper and if you only have to make one I imagine it would take about 5 minutes or less to make.


-Simply Yours-
Ally Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment