Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Build A Fire Pit


Ok so at our new house we have a large area off the deck that is neither grassy nor pretty. What happened was the previous owners carved a face in this large large large cork tree and ants started to invade the tree and the bottom bark was easily falling off so the tree didn't have many years left.....so we had them cut down the tree so we wouldn't have to mess with it and now there is a large spot next to the deck where the tree was.



As you can see there is a scary face in the tree (well I think its scary)



This tree was massive-gave nice shade which some days we wish we had :(
Initially I thought wouldnt it be cool to put a hot tub in the spot.....but then I realized our neighbors are kind of close and we dont have money for a hot tub right now. So then I went on pinterest and saw some posts about diy fire pits....and they looked really simple to do and I thought how perfect it would be to build one rather than spend money buying those little schady fire bowls that people use.

This project doesn't sound so simple-but I'm not doing it haha.
So this Saturday my husband promised me he would take care of it while I was gone with the baby..........


Before the fire pit- do you see my bunny :) by the way those hostas were already there
our house had lots of landscaping which ended up being a great bonus because
our yard looked great and all we had to do was pull weeds! 



This is what I came home to on Saturday :) - of course when I came home it was dark out and my hubby had a fire going but I forgot to take a picture of it, so here's one from the next day. 



Our plan is to enjoy this one this summer. We had the bricks so to save money we just used those. The extra bricks will border the whole thing so that people dont have to get their feet muddy while enjoying the fire (the side of the deck makes the prefect seat!). After doing this project we looked up fire pits online and found some beautiful propane fire tables that eventually we would like to get. Slowly I am turning my husband into a city boy haha now he is ok with a gas fire table lol. 

I dont think my husband would say that this project is easy because he had to level out the ground a bit and dig the pit out-mind you there used to be a huge tree there so I'm sure he ran into some roots. But I do think he would agree that this project is simple. This is short term for us so we didnt bother gluing the bricks together-but if yours is permanent you might want to do that in case someone trips and falls on it. Just a few bricks and a shovel oh and hard work is all it takes. We found the bricks were cheaper than getting fire rated pavers. 

Here's some pics I snapped with my favorite DSLR (for those who dont know what DSLR is its my really expensive camera)






-Simply Yours-
Ally Marie

P.S. We have enjoyed a few fires and we actually really love this pit and I dont think we will change it. It was free and works great! 

If you have questions on how to build this please post them in a comment below.



No comments:

Post a Comment