Friday, July 5, 2013

Home Decor: Love Blocks

So as I have said in other posts we just moved into this wonderful house and while the walls were all painted (so we didnt have to mess with that for now) I have been trying to decorate accordingly. I mean you cant have dark rose walls and a bright yellow couch-or maybe you can haha- its not for me. Anyways so far I have done many projects and I will try to hurry up and blog about them. Here's one of my favorites.

We got married 2 years ago (wow feels longer haha) and as a wedding decoration I got a pictures of our parents weddings and put them in frames with their names and wedding dates on them and displayed them at our ceremony. So we had 3 pictures- my mom+stepdad, my dad+stepmom, and my inlaws. After the wedding we had a small display at our apartment of some of our wedding stuff-including these three photos.

Once we moved into this new house I wasnt sure what to do with them. After all the photos in the frames were scanned in copies of the originals and in my handwriting I wrote their names and wedding date so it kind of looked a little messy. I mean my handwriting is legible but it just looked tacky-like I should have typed that info on the photo and printed it out like that. The frames werent all that great either. They were cheap dollar store frames that I used. So the three photos just didnt fit in our new house because we were done hanging cheesy frames and we were going for a more upscale look. I didnt know what to do. In order to get nicer prints I would again have to track down the original photos and I just didnt want to do that. So what I did was.......

I found this lovely project on pinterest here- and modified it a little. I must say I am happy that 1.all my parents are happily married each one time and no divorces and 2.that I have 3 sets of married parents because those 3 plus our own wedding picture makes 4 which is the number of letters in LOVE -nice!

Since I didnt take pictures during the project I will just post the final product


Here's what I did step by step (I love that show haha step by step)
1. I went to Pat Catans (a craft store) and purchased the closest thing I could find to wooden blocks.They actually had wooden blocks but they were way too big and cost somewhere around $3.00 per block. Instead I went with these smaller wooden boxes which were $1.00-something each.

2. I painted them with acrylic paint- it comes in the little bottle. Pat Catans actually had some on sale so it was like $0.77 each.

3. I scanned in the wedding photos and typed the information on them so they looked neater and I typed the word "LOVE" in word and printed everything out. I used an inkjet printer unfortunately the ink comes off easily when the paper is wet so you have to be careful. 

4. I cut out the photos and letters and modgepodged them on the blocks. This is the step where the ink started to come off the pictures a little. I used glossy modge podge :) **I had to only do one brush stroke over the photos because I realized the ink was getting messed up so I globbed up my brush and only painted modge podge once in one direction over the photos. Everywhere else was fine.

5. After the blocks were dry I did a second coat of modge podge around the sides. Then I hot glued the boxes together. I thought about not gluing their lids on in case I ever wanted to change the letters to "FATE" or some other 4 letter word but since we have little ones over all the time I thought it would be best to just glue everything so it stayed looking nice.


So my version looks a little different than the pinterest version. I feel my way is simpler :)

This project cost me about $10.00 and took about a day to complete (because you have to let that stuff dry!)


-Simply Yours-
Ally Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment